After the latest shootings in the US, their president said:
"A lot of people will say that, well, this is a mental-health problem, it's not a gun problem. The United States does not have a monopoly on crazy people. It's not the only country that has psychosis. And yet, we kill each other in these mass shootings at rates that are exponentially higher than anyplace else."
What does the US have a “monopoly” on?
- Lowest maternity leave in the developed world.
- Almost only developed country not to have universal health care.
- No holiday days for employees.
- Second worst child poverty in the developed world.
- Highest defense spending in the world.
- The highest incarceration rate in the world.
- And of course, more guns, ammo and equipment than anyone else.
It’s foolish to say that in a large complicated society any single factor causes another. But you can look at the composition of that society through key indicators and see how it treats people for clues its behaviour.
Or to put it another way: